Friday 26 August 2016

My hydroponics project for beginners


About this blog

During 2016 I have been experimenting with hydroponics starting off as a complete novice to now being more accomplished.  This blog provides lessons learned, hints and tips for those starting out in hydroponics.  "I've already made most of the mistakes you are about just too!" - Mark Cunnell



What is hydroponics?

Hydroponics is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, in water, without soil.

The concept surprised me having only ever seen hydroponics in Sci-Fi films but a bit of googling quickly proved just how popular it is from hobby enthusiasts and small holdings right through to huge commercial operations.  Equally surprising are its origins, rather than being Sci-Fi they date to circa 1627.  Wikipedia provides a great introduction into the subject, continue reading here.

You may well at this point be thinking "Yuk I'd never eat anything grown like that", well if you have eaten a tomato, lettuce, cucumber, basil....over the last few years you already have.  Hydroponics means you can grow more in a smaller area, faster, all year round and therefore at a greater profit.


Carpe Diem, Seize the day

Once I started reading around the subject I quickly became excited with the possibility of throwing in the day-job (sound familiar?!) and either setting up a small holding on cheap land or creating hydroponics kits commercially.

I quickly came to the conclusion that creating hydroponic kits is already highly automated especially at a commercial level, even setting up a small holdings the question soon became should I buy a kit or design and build my own - so, if I was going to do anything I first needed some experience.

A really interesting article in the Economist which discusses 'vertical gardening' opening up the possibility for huge yields even in cities.


Getting inspiration from YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment